Earth Notes: The Earth Notes Podcast @HomeUpdated 2020-09-21 21:31 GMT.
Episodes are typically:
- 'snackable' at just a few minutes long
- on a green, or energy efficiency, or energy data topic
- based at home
Some episodes are a little more tangental, such as listening to the temperature of your radiators for a whole year in one second.
Some episodes are longer, and watch out for video too!
See below for some ideas that I have brewing, though they may never happen!
- 2020-09-21 Soundwalk - an hour on the Cambridge Road Estate (2020-09-12) 61 min
- 2020-07-26 Diarycast - Conscious Uncouping - Travel (2020-07-26) 9 min
- 2020-07-12 Diarycast - Conscious Uncouping (2020-07-12) 7 min
- 2020-07-05 Statscast - Normal-ish June, Heating Re-viewed (2020-06) 9 min
- 2020-06-10 Statscast - Lockdown Changes and Web Log Noises (2020-05) 11 min
- 2020-05-23 Diarycast - Urban Dawn Chorus (2020-05-23) 24 min
- 2020-05-13 Diarycast - Ambient Sound of a Graveyard (2020-05-13) 11 min
- 2020-05-10 Diarycast - Lockdown Patently Workable (2020-05-10) 4 min
- 2020-05-03 Statscast - PV Up, Travel Down, Weakly Weeklies (2020-04) 11 min
- 2020-04-22 Diarycast - Blue Skies PV High (2020-04-22) 3 min
- 2020-04-19 Metacast 2: Podcast Specs and Workflow 5 min
- 2020-04-13 Diarycast - Lockdown Lawnmowing Sadly Allowed (2020-04-13) 3 min
- 2020-04-10 Metacast 1: Blue Yeti, Shy Eurasian Footwear 4 min
- 2020-03-21 A Short Coronacast for March 2020 2 min
- 2019-12-30 Sign-off for 2019, Hello 2020! 7 min
- 2019-11-09 VIDEO OpenTRV Movie Mashup 1: Video Out-takes and The Rest! 2 min
- 2019-10-29 Water Music: How Does Tap-water Temperature Sound in Time-lapse? 5 min
- 2019-10-28 The Green Existence of Adam Hart-Davis 6 min
- 2019-10-19 PV Sounds: How Does PV Grid-tie Generation Sound in Time-lapse? 3 min
- 2019-10-13 Battery Sounds: How Does a Battery Sound in Time-lapse? 3 min
- 2019-10-12 Rad Sounds II: Attempting a Higher-fi Home-heating Time-lapse 3 min
- 2019-09-22 Greener travel: Why We Should Cut Car-bon Miles 4 min
- 2019-09-15 Rad Sounds: How Cool is your Home Heating in Time-lapse? 3 min
- 2019-08-28 Aircon On, Windows Open! 3 min
- 2019-06-21 About Our Greenish Home aka 16WW, with Bonus Bats and Sparrows 4 min
- 2019-06-15 Solar Panels in My Garden 2 min
Other Ways to Listen
AMP and 'lite' pages play smaller, mono versions of the audio files
where available. Smaller files may help save your mobile data
allowance and a tiny carbon toeprint. The smaller version may also
be served automatically if you have data saving mode (
on) enabled in your browser.
An RSS feed is available.
Here are some vague plans for future episodes. Don't hold your breath!
- Build a beat from eg 4 daily cycles with overlay on first beat, or interleaved beats from another source, and slower arc eg from annual cycle. BPM 120 (2Hz), 135-145?
- Diary of EOU HQ and notable events/stats.
- 2020-09-21 18:45Z: listening to a couple of common pipistrelles at 45kHz overfluing our back garden!
- 2020-09-13: the joy of assembling flat-pack furniture: previous piece out on Freegle.
- 2020-09-12: Soundwalk and bats!
- 2020-09-07: furniture (originally free, ~15Y ago) being Freegled to make space for an upgrade for younger one; will repeat by degrees.
- 2020-09-06: dishwasher flooded.
- 2020-09-05: washing machine died.
- 2020-09-04: though I don't normally bother with supplements, to reduce the risks of another run-in with covid, I have started taking D3 (1k/d) today. 6M supply < £4, so a very cheap risk reducer, along with my squats and pressups and 1-mile walk most days.
- 2020-08: away for a week at EOM: 'baseline' consumption can be seen and with the Enphase ACB there are zero grid imports!
- 2020-07-30: listening to (maybe) grasshoppers at solar noon in the cemetery? Cf https://www.orthoptera.org.uk/node/707
- 2020-07-26: shattered a tooth, probably from grinding and clenching from stress!
- 2020-07-22: travelling into London for first time in months. Station and trains quiet for mid-morning on a weekday, but not empty. Most people wearing masks.
- Have beem listening to https://www.newscientist.com/podcasts/
- Video open house of green features (and link clips to existing articles).
- Interviews with FnF, about how lockdown has effected their 'greenness'.
- Fairphone 3 review, possibly as a video episode, and possibly including audio/video recorded by the FP3 itself.
- Sonify mains voltage fluctuations as seen by the Enphase.
- Sonify change in GB electricity generation before and after lockdown.
- Sonify change in GB transport use (eg TfL journeys) before and after lockdown.
- Do 'virtual' very low carbon non-holiday (video?) sadcastvisit to Midi w/ receipts and photos and clips from last time!
- Capture weekly cycles, though that means running faster than 1 year to 1 second (day = 365Hz, week = 52Hz) to make week audible.
- Discuss eg reduction in peak-time weekday imports with Enphase ToU, and sonify, and discuss other Enphase featues and foibles.
- Turn snippets of sonified data into sampled notes and form tune / percussion. Maybe have note frequency be the mean for the data set.
- Mains water temp to midi note; poss play all years in parallel.
- Audify the fridge/freezer (W -> midi note) and other appliance.
- A take on the daily treadmill getting Radbot to market, eg including fundraising (maybe with some video clips spliced in).
- Interview (audio only, or video) over Skype or SquadCast or Zencastr or similar.
You may be interested in nitty-gritty tech updates and daily learnings while keeping the Earth Notes site up and running.
Some documentation of my set-up and workflow is in episode "Metacast 2".
See also Podcast Industry Statistics, updated daily.